Monday, May 28, 2007

Patio at 95%!!!

























Sorry about the slow posts. I basically blazed through the retaining wall portion to the end. I guess I had momentum! The wall took about 3 hours to place to about 20" high, then I began the backfill and drainage pipes inside the wall. A lot more gravel and breaking up and removal of the old sod. Unfortunately, I still have about 2 yards of dirt left over. Not sure where that's going yet. I finished the wall with 2" of gravel for drainage of the planter, then 6" of topsoil, followed by landscape fabric for weed control, then 2 more inches of topsoil. I then planted the assorted perennials and grasses, finished off with some western red cedar mulch to cover.

Overall this project has not been too difficult. A lot of moving dirt and repositioning piles, but other than a sore back a few days, very rewarding to do since we saved a fortune doing it ourselves. I'll know some tricks if I do this next time to make it easier, and I will definitely know how to estimate materials usage better (I ran out of gravel 2 times!). Although it is only about 30' long overall, we moved over 15 yards of material around.

The final touch is to finish a path to the side yard. That I will save for next weekend I think. Don't want anyone to think I am too ambitious.

Book to Read: The Last Season by Eric Blehm - An excellent story of a back country ranger in Sequoia/Kings Canyon Park. Very well written.

No comments: